Friday 17 May 2013

Mistra

























Mistra hasn't been in the past day and a half because she had to go cleaning. As mentioned before, she and her husband (Joaquín...see below) have to work hard to get their children good education opportunities. She has five children and six grandchildren.












































Mistra says she has never drawn before this workshop and her work looks a bit unexperienced, but over and over again I'm amazed at the persistence of these people. She seems to enjoy making prints and she's carved three plates already, trying different things. She hasn't been able to put a whole lot of time into the work since she cooked two days and did the dishes most days. I help as much as I can, but it's still a lot of work to cook for ten and to clean up after ten people. She said she'd come again tomorrow. I hope she will, since she still has a carved plate to print. She said smiling widely to me that she made an owl like the owl I showed in the presentation the other day (by the Inuit artist Kenojuak Ashevak- see slide of presentation from May 14th).

No comments:

Post a Comment