Sunday 12 May 2013

Final Preparations

It´s the night before my workshop will start. I´m sitting at Verena´s place (my liaison to all the indigenous artists and co-organizer of this workshop). We´re about two kilometers away from the cultural center where I will teach, which is near the outskirts of Neuhalbstadt (a Mennonite town) and really close to the community where most of the artists live. Earlier today, my parents helped me drop off all the supplies and materials and arrange the space a bit to get ready for tomorrow. The cultural center in Neuhalbstadt is a huge building - brick walls, tin roof, one large room with a small stage. Tables and chairs are provided; running water and a fridge are also there. I think it´ll be perfect.



















I´m still a little anxious about tomorrow, but my worries that nobody will show up are dissipating since Verena has received several phonecalls tonight already from interested artists who asked if the workshop is really happening tomorrow and what time we are starting again. We´ll see what happens. I keep hearing that the understanding of time for indigenous people is very different from my own, but I´m prepared to be flexible as long as people come. Verena has certainly done her part and visited and called people to remind them about the workshop. So, we´ll see what happens and I´ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Neuhalbstadt: Is it the same as Halbstadt in the Neuland Colony? That's where I used to go with my dad every week for a period of time to get my infected ear flushed out when I was seven years old (in 1950), two years before we emigrated to Canada. I visited there again for the first time in 2009 and even met two of my former class mates and saw my old school in the village of Einlage. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Neuhalbstadt in the Neuland Colony? When I was seven (in 1950) my dad took me there every week for a period of time to have my infected ear flushed out. We lived in the village of Einlage. I had the opportunity to visit Paraguay again in 2009 and even met several of my old class mates and saw my old school.

    All the best with your art workshop!

    ReplyDelete